Thursday, 11 June 2015

Discolouration at Let's Get Arty

This month at Let's Get Arty  they have a challenge that I found a little tricky I really had to put my thinking cap on, but I think I did it justice.

For the challenge you had to use Discolouration. I needed to make a colour strong and then reduce the pigment so it was faded and stained. The perfect product to achieve this look were my distress inks.

The photos above are the start of my process. I first covered my mixed media paper with Vintage Photo ink, using the ink pad straight onto the paper. The second photo is after I have wiped it back. I did this stage a couple of times trying to get the desired result.

The photos below are my final back ground. I did the process in the above photos and rub the ink off but not quite as much and then I splashed water, and added a little bit of archival ink around the edges and then the heat embossed image in the middle.


I used a Stampin' Up punch to create the flower which I then coloured with my gelatos and big brush pen. The stem is hand draw again with a big brush pen.

 I never have any idea how my designs are going to turn, this one is simple but effective. The pop of red against the browns really works.

Happy Creating

Thursday, 4 June 2015

Winter has Set In

Winter has begun here in Geelong, apparently it is the coldest start to winter since 1949. Gee thanks mother nature, when will summer be back. This cold, wet and rainy weather is the perfect time to spend in my space.

With all this time spent in my creative space I am quick of the mark this month and have created a card to enter into the June Challenge over on the ARTastic Challenge Blog. The art work they have used this month is by  Luka Va titled 'Bird King'

Along with using the art as inspiration you must also include wood veneer and/or birds. Not only was I able to find a bird within my stash but it was made out of wood veneer, could not have more perfect. Now what to do with it. 

The humming bird on the left is what it originally looked like and the one on the right is what I did to it. I pulled out my gelatos and started experimenting. I first used 2 different browns and it just didn't look right, so I added gold to the mixed and still I wasn't thrilled with the look. My next move was a bold one, I found my blueberry gelato and started to colour. The result is this gorgeous teal colour. 

The colours of the art work that stood out to me were the orange of the beak, aqua on the wings and the teal of one of the small birds. The other elements that stood out to me was the wood grain in the back ground and the triangles on the chest of the large bird.

I used all of these elements and turned them into the card below.

Products Used - Dylusions Paint (Vibrant Turquoise & Squeezed Orange), Faber-Castell Gelatos (Chocolate, Cinnamon, Gold Champagne & Blueberry), Faber-Castell Big Brush Pen (Cold Grey) Stampin' Up Ink (Smoky Slate), Stampin' Up Stamp (Hardwood), Stampin' Up Cardstock (Whisper White) Texture Paste, Mixed Media Paper, MME Cut &Paste Enamel Dots.

Happy Creating